Friday, January 8, 2016

Portfolio Section 1:

1. Five Images that Reflect My Dream Classroom
Absent Binder  -  This is an essential part of my future classroom. I have had teachers who've used this when I was a student and it is a phenomenal way for teachers to keep track of what they are doing each day for students who are absent or who join the class partway through. This is especially good if I have multiple classes, I can keep track of what I did every day for each class. Then, helping students who were absent is less of a struggle, and more a matter of "have you checked the binder?".

Lesson Plan Binders - I love this idea! I think it is a great way to organize all of the resources for each unit, especially if as a first year teacher, you get a ton of material and you don't know if you want to use it or not. It is a great way to keep track of lesson plans, worksheets, and activities. I will also keep a digital version of this on my computer. 

White Board Agenda Organization - This helps the students and I know what to expect from the class, especially regarding what is due for homework. We have a plan and this can help keep me on track, and help my students know what to anticipate and think about what they should be able to do after looking at the learning target. 

Passing Back Student Work - This is a way to reduce time spent in passing back papers. Once papers are graded, they are alphabetically placed in the student's folder (which they create the tag for at the beginning of class). This makes it easier to pass back papers - all that has to be done is have a row of students come up at a time every few weeks (or get it before/after class). Also, there is less temptation for students to compare grades on particular assignments. 

Swords of Knowledge - This is like the high school equivalent of buzzers - in competitions (during class and especially during test reviews), we can do challenge games where the first student/team to hit the correct answer on the white board gets a point. I really like this because it brings a creative and fun edge to a competitive way of reviewing/studying information.

2. Classroom Surrounding
Imagine the surrounding in your classroom. What does the room look like? What resources are available for students? How are the resources used during the lesson?
The room is organized, with fun and engaging posters and decorations around the room. Students are able to see what we will be doing in class, what the learning target is, and what homework they have. There will also be examples of student work to show what is expected and to add decoration to the class. 

3. Students in the Classroom 
Describe the students in your classroom. What are their backgrounds? What are their interests? What are they doing during the lesson?
The students in my classroom may have quite varied backgrounds and interests. They may not want to be in my class; they may be falling asleep or they could be attentively paying attention. I need to reach all of them! I can do this by varying my teaching with activities, and making an effort to incorporate why history matters (and why we should care). I want the students to be at least minimally interested and engaged in the lesson. 

4. Classroom Policies
Describe your classroom policies. What are your classroom rules? What is your discipline plan? What are your homework policies?
My classroom policies are adapted from the school district/school's policies. I want to be firm and consistent in my discipline, acting according to the guidelines of the school district. I believe there should be some homework, and that there should be a clear due date. Late work will be accepted up to two weeks late 

5. Typical Lesson
Describe a typical lesson you will teach in your classroom. What will you teach? What is the topic? Why did you choose this topic? How will you teach it? What is the main thing you want students to learn during this lesson?
I will teach a unit on the countries in the Middle East, particularly the Palestinian-Israeli Conflict. I chose this topic because it is vital to the history curriculum mandated by the State of Utah, and is one of the most long-time prominent conflicts. In addition, the Palestinian-Israeli Conflict is one of my favorite areas of study. I will teach it by relating this abstract, multi-layered conflict to a simplistic story about two "roommates". I want my students to understand the roots of this conflict and be able to understand the reasoning of both the Palestinians and the Israelis and why they behave and fight like they do. 

6. Teacher Behavior During the Lesson
Imagine your work as a teacher during this lesson. What are you doing during the lesson?
I want to introduce the Palestinian-Israeli Conflict, then start an activity that relates the conflict to a simplistic story. The class will be divided into two groups, one group looking at the story and the conflict from the Palestinian side and the other group looking at the story and conflict from the Israeli side. This activity expands on what I talked about and allows the students to explore more in-depth with the topic. Then I will have differing groups talk in to opposition in small groups, then bring a debate to a class-wide level. During the group work, I will be walking around, encouraging students to stay on task and answering questions as needed. During the debate, I will act as a moderator and add in supporting points (or points that I think need to be made in order for better understanding). 

7. Student Behavior During the Lesson
Imagine your students again, what are they doing during the lesson?
They are listening, they are working on interpreting the story, and trying to make a point about who deserves the house (the Holy Land). If they are distracted, I can help redirect them by asking them questions about the assignment or what they think from learning about the conflict so far. 

8. Assessment of Students' Learning and Achievement
Imagine how you will assess your students' learning and achievement. How will you know they have learned?
I will assess my student's learning and achievement throughout our discussion by asking them to rate their understanding on a scale of 1 to 5 by holding up that number of fingers. During the debate, I will also be able to see their understanding as they make points and defend their position. 

No comments:

Post a Comment